Friday, April 23, 2010

Thoughts on Draft: Round 1

Well, the first round of the 2010 Draft has come and gone, and now that the dust has settled, here are my thoughts.

As a New Orleanian, I should be talking about the Saints pick at 32, but there is a more pressing issue at hand that I want to discuss: Tim Tebow.

So it looks like little Timmy Tebow is going to be a NFL player after all, being drafted 25th overall by the Denver Broncos.  Who would have thought it?  I am so conflicted about this kid.  Part of me really loves his "aww shucks, I'm just so blessed" persona and his boyish good looks; but another part of me wants to punch him in the face and tell him he throws like a girl. 

Tebow's reaction was sickeningly humble.

I don't really care about the words coming out of his mouth, though. What I am interested in is a) what's the deal with the brightly colored shirt and (more importantly), b) who is the guy wearing the SAME EXACT SHIRT in the background? Is that his brother? Is that a friend? Who is that? You can tell that Tebow Doppelganger is VERY aware that he is in the espn camera shot, and poses accordingly. These background people are so awkward that I can't help but laugh. By all accounts, the Tebow compound is very large. They couldn't move to another room? It's not like they are talking or celebrating. They are just standing there making me very uncomfortable.

In another town in Florida, Tebow's teammate Maurkice Pouncey was also drafted in the first round -- by the Pittsburgh Steelers, no less. Wanting to avoid controversy and rebuild their image, the Steelers had a kid from the Make a Wish Foundation read off their pick. Pouncey's reaction?

In case you were wondering, that guy to his right is his brother. So... better luck in round 2 with trying to pick a player who isn't going to end up as fodder on Eagles fans youtube pages.

The Saints picked Patrick Robinson (CB, FSU), a move which was universally reviled by all Saints fans via twitter and nola.com. Even players Tracy Porter and Usama Young were perplexed by the selection, expressing their disbelief by tweeting, "I don't get it..." and "ditto lol." Malcolm Jenkins, however, was just happy not to be the rookie anymore: "YEEEESSSS!!!!!..... we got another DB.... shoppin on the ROOK!!!!" I guess I felt the same way when I saw the incoming 1Ls.

It makes sense that the Saints want to bolster up their cornerback situation. When Tracy Porter and Jabari Greer were out last season, the defense really struggled. Many also say that this move is paving the groundwork for the Saints and FS Darren Sharper to part ways -- current cornerback (and last year's first round draft selection) Malcolm Jenkins could slide into the free safety position.

I will hold off on making a judgment about him. I think I need to see him at a press conference.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is safe to say that Porter and Young "didn't get" the Robinson pick in the first round because they took it personally. Porter shouldn't worry; Young should.

    ReplyDelete