Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sean Weatherspoon is Visiting the Saints

The internets are a twitter with the news that OLB Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri) is visiting the Saints tomorrow for a workout.

Linebacker is a position in need for the Saints at the moment (with the loss of Fujita to the Browns) so it's not unexpected that they would look at 'Spoon. He performed well at the combine, and is currently the 2nd rated OLB in the draft.

But if you ask me for my non-expert opinion, I think the Saints are trying to force another team's hand. The Saints have a history of working out players they never end up drafting. Last year's first round draft pick (Malcolm Jenkins) didn't even work out with the Saints before being drafted. If it looks like the Saint are interested in Weatherspoon, then maybe another team (i.e, the Falcons) will try and draft him first. Also, Weatherspoon has expressed an interest in Atlanta, and knows players on the team.

I'm not sure if Weatherspoon is the right player for the Saints. He is kind of a showboat. What sort of college student has like 4039 youtbube videos of himself dancing in clothing stores? Maybe I don't get the "big man on campus" phenomenon because I went to a college without a football team.

Update: Since writing this post, Weatherspoon tweeted the following: "Flying 1st class to NO! I guess that's how the Super Bowl Champs do it!! Who Dat!!!" Okay. That is kind of adorable. Maybe he would be a good fit. But if you ask me to try and predict the future, I see him being picked up by the Falcons.

No comments:

Post a Comment